History of Our School
The Keble Memorial Church of England Schools were opened on 27 March 1889. The schools were part of an organisation provided by the Community of the Sisters of the Church to give an opportunity to the children of North London to be educated in basic subjects within the framework of a Christian Family.
The school building was originally shared by three schools; an infant school on the ground floor for 250 children from 5 to 7 years and separate schools for 150 boys and 180 girls from 7 to 14 years. Boys, girls and infants all had separate playgrounds, and each school had its own Headteacher. The assembly hall was in a separate building at the end of the playground.
In 1955 the school was re-organised. The junior schools joined together and became one Mixed Junior School. The infant school at this time had places for 165 pupils and the Junior School had places for 200 pupils.
In 1965, control passed to the London Diocesan Board of Education and the school became Voluntary Aided. The Community of the Sisters of the Church were still involved in the life of the school at this time.
In the early 1970s, the council placed a compulsory purchase order on the houses adjoining the school. They were bought, knocked down and the land was cleared. The sweetshop next to the school also closed at this time!
On 16 October 1972, Graham Leonard, Lord Bishop of Willesden, laid the foundation stone for new building work to modernise and extend the school.
In 1973 the work was completed and the infant school transferred to its new buildings.
The new building included two halls, one for the infants and one for the juniors, so the old hall at the end of the playground was made into a swimming pool. In the mid-1980s, the infant and junior schools merged to become John Keble
The Community of Sisters of the Church
The Community of Sisters of the Church was founded by Mother Emily Ayckbowm, daughter of the Rector of Holy Trinity, Chester.
Miss Ayckbowm had already begun the Church Extension Association to help the poor of her father's parish. When she came to London she started 'Ragged Sunday-Schools' with hot tea and buns for poor children.
A community of nuns grew from the Extension Association. Mother Emily founded schools, orphanages and children's homes in several London parishes. The work of the Community eventually spread to other parts of the country and the world.
After the war the Community moved out to Ham Common. Though much smaller, it still seeks to be faithful to the spirit of Mother Emily.
John Keble (25 April 1792 to 29 March 1866) was an English churchman and poet, one of the leaders of the Oxford Movement.
He gave his name to Keble College, Oxford, to our school and to other schools.